Tuesday 20 December 2011

Scotland's Evening Sky

Gazing towards the stars is something that I do on a frequent occasion, as it sparks a sense of wonder in me. There is no better place to observe the night sky than from the balcony of my Dunblane hotel; although I have heard great things about the night sky from people that have stayed in a few of the hotels in Ballater, I have never been there.
I have been staying in this hotel for nearly a week now, as I have several business conferences to attend in the area. I have fallen in love with everything that has to do with this wonderful country: the smells of the countryside, the views from atop the numerous summits, and the carefree attitude of the locals. This country has done so many things right that it is difficult to believe that many other places have not attempted to adopt some of the characteristics.

Although the conferences tend to drag on through the day, often spending 10-12 hours listening to power point presentations, I always look forward to returning to my hotel in the evening. I am learning much about the business that I am involved in, since that is the reason for the trip, but I cannot help but feel a little guilty about the amount of pleasure that I am having. It seems as though there is always something to do: drinking a glass of wine with my business friends, taking public transportation to an area that I have not explored yet, or gazing into the night sky as I frequently do. To be honest, this last activity is when I tend to do my best thinking. It is a time when everything slows down, and I can actually understand what I am thinking about.

I leave tomorrow for an Aberdeen city centre hotel. I am not looking forward to leaving this wonderful hotel, but I have also heard great things about this new one. I look forward to the adventure, and the evening sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment