Thursday 20 September 2012

Food and Fun in France

To celebrate my husband’s 36th birthday, we took a trip to Paris, France. For us, it was the trip of a lifetime, and the lead up to our departure made it pretty clear why.

For me, an art history major, travel has always been about culture, history and art. I’d been abroad before, but somehow I’d never made it to France. All I could think about in the days leading up to our trip was the Louvre, the Musee D’Orsay, the Pere Lachaise and Versailles – all the wonderful museums and historical sites I would finally be able to appreciate in person.


For my husband, a former chef and restaurant owner, the build-up to our trip was all about the food. A long time connoisseur, he had more knowledge about food and wine in his left pinky than I had in my entire body. He couldn’t wait to try authentic French cuisine. To me, all that strange food was a little scary.

Still, this was a trip for HIS birthday, so as a surprise I reserved a spot for a private cooking class in a popular French chef’s home. We were both nervous when we arrived, but when our instructor opened the door with a large glass of wine in her hand, we knew this was going to be fun.

We spent the evening drinking, laughing, cooking and learning – with plenty of wine on hand and an instructor who knew her way around both the kitchen AND the city, we really got the best of Paris that evening, without ever leaving that house. If you’re visiting Paris, enjoy food and culture, and want a unique, very special evening – look into a private home cooking lesson, and walk away with an experience you’ll remember for a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment