Tuesday 1 November 2011

A Retirement Party to Remember.

My time had finally come, retirement. I had been working for the same company for nearly 43 years, and today was my day. I woke up, did my routine as usual, yet I was told that there was a certain spring in my step that my wife had not seen for quite a few years. I must admit that I did not notice such a thing, but I was assured that it was there. It is odd how you do certain things that are not intentional, yet they reflect your true feelings. Perhaps this is due to those actions not being filtered through whatever rational mechanism the brain uses. Regardless, I arrived at the office, parked in the same stall as always, and began my way towards the front door for the last time.


Of course there balloons, a cake, and even the CEO of the company that I had met only once before. Truth be told, I was hoping that I would go rather unnoticed throughout the day, but that secretary that we just hired was working against my desires. She had gone above and beyond what was necessary. Although I am thankful for her actions, I did find it somewhat embarrassing. Just at the height of it all, the CEO handed me an envelop, rather small for 43 years of service I thought. Yet, what was inside changed my life.

The company had booked me a Central Glasgow hotel in the heart of Glasgow. I had heard of Cairngorms hotel from friends before, and now I had the opportunity to visit one. I was so excited for my stay at my Central Glasgow hotel that my wife could barely understand me when I called her during my lunch break. Of course, I did not let her know that the coupon for the Cairngorms hotel was for two until I got home that evening, as I wanted to keep this day about me. Perhaps that is selfish, but you only retire once.

No comments:

Post a Comment